September 16
So today was my second day off in a row! Crazy. Magically I received a message saying not to come in to work today because it was slow.
So I went to the institute! I didn't go yesterday and was bummed so I wanted to make sure I went today. I wanted to do something for someone, with my day off, and the first day I spent time with Bryce and did a couple of things for him, but I wanted to get out and to see people the second day. So I thought, "Sister Nymeyer loves Chik-fil-a. I'll bring her her favorite." So after Bryce and I wandered flowers and took care of some things at the apartment, I went and bought food and took it to the institute.
I was able to catch up with quite a few people. I saw Rachel and Isaac and their new baby, who is super stinking cute. I, of course, got to talk with Sister Nymeyer a bit. I saw Dillion, Sawyer, and Ryan. I got to catch up with Derek and Jared. I talked to Taylor for a little bit.... the Skousons, and a bunch of new faces, so I got to ask Sister Nymeyer about quite a few of them.
Jared came in with outstretched armed because I guess Bryce had just messaged him and told him our news and he was so happy for us. He started asking questions and his face just said it all. It made me happy to know he was so happy for us. He had to cut me off because he was receiving a call from Michelle. His face changed after probably 7 seconds of being on the phone and he had his back to me and his hand was kind of holding him up off the doorframe. He left and I figured I would ask him about it later.
I made it out to the hall outside the kitchen and was talking to Rachel and Isaac, after Rachel was finished feeding the baby and Isaac had just come over from work. Isaac was telling me he had just received a message from Rachel, telling him about Bryce and I, and I started laughing, telling him I just talked to her and that she was in the bathroom feeding.
After talking to Derek and DJ and a new kid in the hall, then talking to Isaac and Rachel, then I saw Jared again and as he was getting a drink from the water fountain, I knew something was up because he sniffed and I could tell he had been crying. So I actually apologized and cut Isaac and Rachel off, and ran after him. He was about to go outside when I asked him what was wrong. He turned around, and I don't think he could look at me, but told me he just found out his dad died. His dad isn't much older than mine. I asked him if they had expected it and he told me both his parents have had heart problems in the past but all was fine now. He said his mom and brother had called earlier and he tried to call them back and they didn't answer... He gave me a hug and I just held onto him for a good moment, then asked if there was anything I could do, if I could get him some water, if he needed me to drive, if he was able to drive, and he said Michelle was coming to pick him up. I haven't lost someone in my family yet, who I am super close to, so I don't know what to do when I have had friends who have. I tell them if they need anything, to let us know... I told Bryce about it after I got back to the apartment and I figured we could at least make dinner for them sometime.
I hung out with Danielle after I stopped by the apartment to check on Bryce, mostly because I didn't want to bug him and he was studying and doing homework. And after office hours would finish, he planned on going over to his parents' homes, to help with moving. I told Bryce I wanted to hang out with Danielle because if I went to help, I knew his mom wouldn't let me or would encourage a nap, so I wanted to enjoy my time with friends, and there is a dinner activity in our ward tonight so I went to that with Danielle and Phil as well.
When Bryce was finished, he came over to their house and we watched Now You See Me 2, on VidAngel, which was nice because even though Lani said there wasn't much, with this program, they are able to "clean up" the movie a little bit, and take things out we don't want to watch, which was pretty nice.

****
When I found out about my friend's father, I was telling Danielle how I felt like I couldn't be all that happy today when I knew a friend of mine wasn't happy. Don't get me wrong, I am a pretty happy person and still managed to enjoy my day, but sometimes I struggle when I know a friend isn't happy and I know there isn't much I can do.
When I thought about him and his family, this song came to my heart and mind:

Nearer, My God, To Thee

When you watch the video within this link, and see some of the miracles Christ performed, it reminded me of my friend. Although all the miracles portrayed in the video were of physical healing, I know our Savior can do wonders with healing broken hearts. My friend may not be physically challenged, but I know at this time, with his family, although they all know and understand the gospel plan, are hurting right now, with the suddenness of this event.
I sent the link to my friend and hope he found some comfort in the words. I know it won't make everything better, but a reminder, I feel, could help a little bit.
Grieving is part of the process. When any of us have someone close to us pass away, it's normal to grieve and to feel sad, knowing they are gone, and that it'll be some time before they see him again, which might be one of the reasons why it's difficult... The comfort that can be felt in all of this though, is that it is true, that we will see our loved ones again, that it's not the end.
I don't think I am prepared to lose anyone close to me yet, no matter how much I love and believe in the gospel plan, but I will do as the Lord would have me, and would hope my loved ones would do the same, and if we have to experience one of us leaving soon, I hope we will all respect His plan, and with time, move on to the goal of making it back to Him so we can also make it back to our loved ones as well.
His plan is good. His plan is more than fair. His plan is truly remarkable.

Comments